We continued exploring Mother Nature’s gifts in the form of nutritional and herbal plants. In this blog, we will cover various facts involving the benefits of Flor de Manita. We will delve into its rich cultural and ornamental significance and provide insight into preparing a delightful herbal tea from this botanical wonder. It is also known as “Devil’s Hand Tree among the natives. Letting you know about the potential side effects of this plant will complete our journey to discover this plant.
Flor de Manita Origin
The scientific name of this plant is Chiranthodendron pentadactyl, which is quite famous among native people with the phrase “Mexican hand tree or Devil’s hand tree”. It is majorly found in Mexico and parts of Central America, and below are some of its visual properties and cultural significance.
Appearance of Flor de Manita
The plant is quite spooky in formation; as the name suggests, it has 5 long finger-shaped petals. The flowers are red, generally quite large, and grow about 10 inches in diameter.
Habitat of Flor de Manita
It prefers hot, humid, and cloudy weather. The plant can be generally seen in the high-altitude region of Mexico and some parts of Central America.
Cultural Significance of Flor de Manita
The plant has historical significance and is deeply rooted in Mexican and Central American culture. Native people also discuss its symbolic meaning, which is associated with blessings and protections. The plant flowers can be seen in various rituals and ceremonies.
Flor de Manita Nutrients
The plant has various health benefits as per natives of Mexico and Central American countries. We have tried to disintegrate the plant to its nutrient level to prove the potential health benefits it offers. We are surprised to know that it is not preferred for it and has a limited nutritional content.
Flor de Manita has some Vitamin Contents
Although it is not well documented, it is believed that the plant is rich in Vitamin C, A, and certain types of Vitamin B.
Flor de Manita has Dietary Fibre
One of the benefits of Flor de Manita is its mild laxative effect. The leaves or the other parts of the plant may contain dietary fiber. This can help reduce constipation, as it provides bulk to the stool.
Flor de Manita has some Antioxidants
Flor de Manita is rich in antioxidants, which are known to reduce oxidative stress. The presence of antioxidants can be very beneficial as it can help us protect ourselves from various chronic diseases like hypertension and diabetes. They help to flush out the free radicals or toxins that produce oxidative stress.
Health Benefits of Flor de Manita
Flor de Manita is used as a traditional medicine in some indigenous Mexican and Central American cultures. We have very few scientific studies that can actually determine the health benefits of Flor de Monita. Based on some experience, we can say that it is a good sedative and can be very good for our digestion.
Also Read: Health benefits of Burro Banana
A. Flor de Manita is Good for Digestion
From very ancient times, it has been used to keep our digestion healthy. It possesses a few properties that make it a promising agent for keeping our digestion healthy. A few of them are:
It Can Reduce Gas and Bloating
It is believed that it has carminative properties, which can help us to pass the gas developed in the system. Excessive gas and bloating can be a sign of indigestion, and it has some properties that reduce bloating and release gases.
It has Mild Laxative Effects
- Constipation is becoming a modern-day problem, and there has been a significant increase in constipation-related issues over the years. While a person is suffering from it, they may not have natural bowel movements, which inhibits the stool passage. It is said that the body only works properly if the system is clean.
- When consuming Flor de Manita regularly, there are significant improvements in the natural bowel movements. It can deal with the early stages of constipation.
Due to the soothing properties of Flor de Manita, it acts as a relaxant for some abdomen problems. It soothes the discomfort associated with indigestion and abdomen cramps.
B. It has Some Anti-Inflammatory Properties.
It acts wonderfully if a person is suffering from gastrointestinal inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory agents which help to reduce inflammation in the digestive tract.
C. Flor de Manita Can Act as a Sedative
- Flor de Manita has a mild sedative effect. Some indigenous Mexican and Central American cultures use its calming effects. It is said that regularly consuming herbal infusions or teas can help dull and depressed people by promoting relaxation and stress release.
- It is important to note that the potential sedative effects can be anecdotal as there are minimal studies done to prove its efficacy. We recommend not depending solely on the use of Flor de Manita for any potential benefit. Consult a healthcare expert once.
Other Flor de Manita Benefits
Flor de Manita, commonly known as “Devil’s Hand Tree,” is native to Mexico and Central America. It has many traditional and cultural significance and is used in rituals and ceremonies. Below are some benefits of the tree.
Flor de Manita is often grown in gardens as a decorative tree. It has beautiful red flowers with a distinct hand-like shape, slightly spooky and different. It is often cultivated for ornamental purposes for its appearance, shape, and size.
Cultural & Symbolic Significance
It is believed in some indigenous Mexican and Central American cultures that the Flor de Manita flower is marked as a symbol of protection and blessings. The flowers are used as a decorative item in many local rituals and ceremonies.
How to Make Flor de Manita Tea
We can make an herbal infusion with the help of dried leaves and flowers of Flor de Manita. Below are the ingredients and procedures to make Flor de Manita tea.
- The dried form of Flor de Manita leaves and flowers.
- Honey or other sweeteners
- Dice of lemon
Once we have gathered all the ingredients, we can begin with making the tea. We need to remember before making a habit of drinking this herbal tea. We should consult a healthcare professional to discuss our underlying health issues.
Getting the Dried Leaves and Flowers
- First, we need to acquire dried leaves and flowers of Flor de Manita. We can purchase it online and from a reputable local seller. We should keep an eye on the reviews (online or offline) and should ask if they are grown(plant) in natural conditions and free from pesticides.
- If we are using fresh leaves and flowers, make sure they are well-washed and dried before using.
Preparing the Leaves and Flowers
- We can use 1-2 teaspoons of dried leaves and flowers of Flor de Manita (if we are using it fresh, the quantity should be determined accordingly).
- Use 1-2 cups of water (we can adjust the amount of water in Flor de Manita tea accordingly)
Boiling Water and Steeping
- Start boiling the water in a kettle.
- In a separate kettle, keep the dried or fresh Flor de Manita leaves and flowers.
- Pour that boiling water into it and let the tea steep for another 5-10 minutes. During this time, the container should be closed.
Strain and Serve
- In the meantime, the goodness of Flor de Manita tea will infuse in the water.
- Strain the tea with a fine mesh in a cup.
- If you like, add some lemon and honey or sugar.
- Tea is ready to be served. Enjoy it hot.
Flor de Manita is a sedative
- Traditionally, it was believed that Flor de Manita has mild sedative properties. It was used in many indigenous Mexican and Central American cultures for its calming and stress control features.
- We can prepare herbal tea from it, which brings relaxation and will reduce tension.
- More scientific studies need to be done to prove Flor de Manita’s sedative nature. We should consult a healthcare expert before using it for some specific purpose.
Flor de Manita Side Effects
It is mainly used as a traditional medicine and can be used to make herbal infusions like tea. When we are exploring its potential health benefits, we must also know its side effects. They are not deadly and can be quickly recovered. Most of the benefits or side effects are anecdotal, which means there is limited scientific proof of them. Below are some common side effects of consuming Flor de Manita:
Flor de Manita Can Cause Allergic Reactions
This is one of the most common forms of side effects that can be experienced while consuming a plant-based remedy. Generally, lots of people are allergic to various plant-based products, and we can have symptoms like rashes, itching, skin redness, and, in the worst cases, shortness of breath. To avoid such a scenario, we should begin with a small quantity of Flor de Manita and gradually increase its intake.
Flor de Manita Can Have Gastrointestinal Side Effects
These are the symptoms generally seen after the consumption of Flor de Manita herbal tea. It can give rise to some gastrointestinal side effects like stomach upset, acid reflux, nausea, or diarrhea. If you experience any of these, stop using it further.
Flor de Manita Can Have Drug Interactions
This can be an area of concern as it may interact with certain drugs. At the same time, interaction may decrease the absorption of salt, which will reduce the efficacy of the drug. In case we are under medication, especially using a sedative or any chronic disorder medicine, then interaction can happen. It is recommended to consult a healthcare expert better to understand the possible depth of the side effects.
Safety During Pregnancy and Breast Feeding
As stated earlier, most of the benefits and side effects of Flor de Manita are anecdotal and are not backed by scientific proof. Pregnancy and early motherhood are already very sensitive phases of a woman’s body. We should avoid using things for which we are not even sure. As the body is going through hormonal changes itself, we cannot afford any more side effects, especially when they can be tolerated. If only we still want to use it, consult a healthcare expert.
We have tried to understand the benefits of Flor de Manita by disintegrating the herb into its nutritional component. Which does not prove beneficial. This study majorly depends on already available literature and native people’s experiences. By now, we must have understood that besides offering few health benefits, it also has cultural significance. You can also read about how to prepare the tea and Flor de Manita’s side effects. Though most of these benefits and side effects do not possess any scientific evidence, we should be aware of these mediational plants. By gaining experience.
The best way to consume the benefits of Flor de Manita is through drinking tea. The taste of the herb is very distinctive and is considered subtle and smoky. This tea can be enjoyed any time of day. To prepare it, we need to take a cup of water and boil it. Cover and steep for 10-12 minutes. Strain and enjoy the hot cup of goodness.
Various factors come into play in determining the frequency with which you can take Flor de Manita. These factors can stand true for most herbal teas. The first thing you need to check is the health conditions, as it can interfere with the medical drugs and can decrease their efficacy, be cautious in such conditions and the last will be your tolerance level. The taste of herbs is very distinctive and you need different taste buds to enjoy it.
It is recommended to consult a healthcare expert and physically examine yourself for any possible health condition that can be aggravated. They will also determine the right amount of dosage for you.
Flor de Manita, which is popularly phrased as “Devil’s hand tree”, has been traditionally used by various indigenous Mexican and Central American cultures to provide health benefits. The best use of the tree is as a sedative because of its calming effect. It provides aid in digestive health as it has a mild laxative nature, which can help to cure constipation and give relief in symptoms like bloating and gas. Apart from this, it has many cultural, ritual, and ornamental values.
The name “Tree of Little Hands” is given to Flor de Manita, which in Spanish means “Mano de Leon”. This tree is native to Mexico and parts of Central America, and if we talk about its appearance, it has striking red flowers in the shape of a hand. The five petals resemble fingers. The plant has many health benefits and has some ornamental value.