We have found many wonders in nature’s bounty, which we use to gain many health benefits. Palo Azul is one of nature’s wonders, native to Mexico and parts of the southwestern United States. This herb, scientifically known as Eysenhardtia polystachya, has gained the limelight as its use to improve kidney health gained momentum among people who trust natural remedies. In this blog, we will discuss the benefits of Palo Azul, how to make a cup of herbal tea, side effects, and more.
The herb is popularly known as kidneywood. We can consume it as herbal tea with the help of the dried bark of Palo Azul’s plant. Palo Azul tea is one of the preferred choices for those using it to gain health benefits. Before moving forward, let us discuss the nutritional value of the plant.
Nutritional Content of Palo Azul
While seeking Palo Azul benefits, we have decided to disintegrate the plant on its nutritional value. We wanted to connect the dots by combining its nutritional content with potential health benefits.
- Flavonoids are known for their antioxidant properties, which are necessary to flush out toxins from our bodies and combat oxidative stress. We can suffer many chronic diseases if we have oxidative stress, like hypertension and diabetes.
- Palo Azul is rich in flavonoids like Kaempferol, quercetin, and other flavonoid derivatives.
Flavonoids are considered as anti-cancer, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral.
Palo Azul also has some therapeutic properties. According to some studies, it contains a volatile compound that contributes to its unique scent and medicinal properties.
Essential oils are good at stress relief, and anti-fungal.
The presence of Alkaloids and Tannins
- Alkaloids are organic compounds found in most of the plants.
- Tannins are another compound found in Palo Azul. They have astringent properties.
- Alkaloids are considered analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and hypnotic.
- Tannins may reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
Palo Azul Benefits
The native people of Mexico have been using Palo Azul to gain many health benefits. We have seen the phytonutrient content of the herb provides the strength to fight many disease symptoms. Palo Azul can help fight the problems mentioned below.
- Kidney health problem
- Reducing inflammation
- Detox the body
Palo Azul For Kidneys
Palo Azul’s benefit for the kidney made the herb gain the limelight. Native Mexicans have used it to improve kidney health.
- The diuretic properties of Palo Azul are considered bliss for the kidney’s health.
- It will increase the urine production in the body.
- This action eliminates toxins and waste from the body, boosting the kidney’s health.
Preventing Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
The herb has been used to cure UTIs as it cleans out the system frequently, stopping infection.
- Body detox is taken very seriously as it has the potential to benefit our health.
- During detox, the body flushes out toxins and waste products. This cleans the system, which allows natural healing.
Palo Azul for Weight Management
Obesity has been haunting us for the last 2-3 decades. With the help of Palo Azul, we can regulate our weight.
Diuretic Properties and Weight Loss
Palo Azul is believed to have diuretic properties. This can increase the urine production. For some time, the body tends to lose liquid weight. This is temporary, and the body will again calibrate itself.
Detoxifying The Body
- Palo Azul is believed to detoxify the body when we use it over some time. Detoxification directly aids in body weight control. During detox, all toxins are flushed out from the body.
- When the body’s toxic levels are reduced, it becomes stress-free, which can promote weight loss.
Webstory on “Health Benefits of Palo Azul: A Natural Approach to Wellness”
How to Make Palo Azul Tea
Palo Azul tea is the most famous way to consume the herb to gain health benefits. For making tea, we use the dried bark of the plant, known to have essential oils, which turned out to be therapeutic.
- Dried bark of Palo Azul
- Natural Sweetener and a dice of lemon (optional)
- Obtain dried Palo Azul’s bark. Get it from any leading e-commerce website or health store.
- Take 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of dried Palo Azul’s bark and place them in a separate boiler with the lid.
- Pour the boiling water into the pot and cover it with a lid.
Steep and Strain
- Let the goodness of Palo Azul be infused in boiling water. In this way, we can consume all the beneficial properties of the herb.
- Steep the tea for 10-12 minutes. The longer the duration, the stronger the tea.
- Strain it in a cup with a fine- mesh or cheesecloth.
- If you want to add a dice of lemon and some honey as a natural sweetener.
- Tea is ready to be served.
Also Read: Does Palo Azul Make You Poop?
Side Effects of Palo Azul
Palo Azul can also have side effects, like other plant-based natural remedies. However, only a few studies have been conducted to check the efficacy of the plant. We should be aware of some primary side effects, as discussed below.
- One of the most common side effects of Palo Azul. It belongs to the Fabaceae family, and if the person is allergic to any plant of that family, they are likely to have an allergic reaction.
- Common symptoms are itching, red skin, and shortness of breath.
- Do check with a healthcare expert.
- It is generally observed that if we are dependent on some prescribed medicine for any chronic illness and we start taking Palo Azul, its efficacy can decrease.
- Palo Azul can interfere with the amount of medicinal salt absorbed by the body. This can be dangerous in the long run.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding are the most fragile stages of a woman’s body. The body takes a tool because of hormonal imbalance and a weak immune system.
- Palo Azul’s benefits and side effects are not well documented and mostly are anecdotal. It is recommended to avoid such things in such stages. If they must be taken, consult a healthcare expert.
- Symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea can be experienced when we take Palo Azul.
- If these symptoms persist, then seeing a doctor is recommended.
To conclude the study, we have understood the benefits of Palo Azul. The nutrient composition of the herb talks more about its health benefits. We have discussed the herb benefits our kidney health, the process of making Palo Azul tea, and some side effects. After going through this, you must have cleared a lot of doubts on Palo Azul.