Burro Bananas are quite different in taste, appearance, and flavor than regular widely available Cavendish Bananas. It is a tropical fruit that generally needs a warm climate & is commonly found in Mexico. Scientifically, it is known as Musa sapientum. Native people call it Chunky Banana. The physical appearance of the fruit is of a thicker peel, denser and thicker fruit part, and tangy in flavor like lime. They are pretty popular among the natives because of their various health benefits. This blog will cover the benefits of Burro Banana, Recipes, Differences with Regular Banana, Benefits for Weight Loss, and more.
There are different ways to consume and store them, as they can be eaten fresh, dried, and even cooked. Giving you a heads up, they are an excellent source of Potassium, Vitamin C, and Dietary Fiber, which makes them a superfood. We can store them at room temperature for 2-3 days. If we want to keep them for over a week, then wrapping them in a plastic bag and refrigerating them will be a good option.
Some Nutrition Facts
Burro Bananas are loaded with essential nutrients, and they are a good source of some critical nutrients like Potassium, Carbohydrates, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C. Its Dietary Fiber-rich content makes it an excellent option to cure constipation and other digestive problems. Stay tuned as we will discuss the Burro Banana Nutrition Facts.
1. Burro Banana Rich in Potassium
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Burro Banana can fulfill 9% of the Recommended Daily Allowance by providing 422.4 milligrams of Potassium in a 100-gram serving.
- It is an excellent source of Potassium, an essential and third most abundant mineral for the human body. It has many vital functions, like regulating blood pressure by widening blood vessels. it is an electrolyte, thus helping to maintain fluid balance, which prevents dehydration, improving nerve function, improving heart health, and preventing strokes.
2. Burro Banana Rich in Vitamin B6
- Burro Banana is a wealthy source of Vitamin B6, which is also known as Pyridoxine. It is water soluble, which means the body cannot store it in any form, and we have to consume it regularly to maintain the Vitamin B6 balance. According to USDA, Burro Bananas can fulfill 25% of the daily recommended dosage, around 0.4 milligrams of Pyridoxine in a 100-gram serving.
- Vitamin B6 is an essential nutrient to regulate our metabolism by helping us absorb carbohydrates, fats, and protein in the body. Along with iron, Vitamin B6 is necessary for producing hemoglobin, a critical compound carrying oxygen to different body parts. It plays a vital role in the development and function of WBCs, which will ultimately enhance our immune response.
- Vitamin B6 is essential to produce serotonin, which carries the signal between nerve cells.
3. Burro Banana Rich in Dietary Fiber
- Burro Bananas can be an excellent choice to maintain the daily fiber needs of the human body. It contains about 3.1 grams, which can fulfill about 11% of daily recommendations. It is beneficial to aid in constipation by adding bulk to the stool.
- One of the benefits of Burro Banana is because of its rich dietary fiber content. According to a study, an average adult needs 35-38 grams of dietary fiber daily. It can help to cure constipation and can also help to maintain blood sugar levels. The dietary fiber intake may vary as per our health condition; to determine the optimum intake, we recommend consulting a healthcare expert.
4. Rich Source of Carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy for the human body. These are an excellent source as they provide about 10% of the daily recommended 2000-calorie diet. A medium-sized Burro Banana has 29 grams of carbohydrates, of which 25 grams are net carbohydrates.
- They provide both simple and complex carbs. Simple in terms of sugar, which readily breaks down and releases energy. The complex can be starch, broken down slowly and providing sustained energy.
Trying Different Recipes
Burro Bananas can be enjoyed in different ways by consuming them fresh, making pancakes, making fries, storing them, and finishing them within a week. They have a sweet, creamy flavor and can be used to make various savory dishes. Below is the recipe to make fries and pancakes from Burro Banana.
Burro Banana Fries
This is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to consume Burro Banana. We all love fries, so let us try some Burro Banana fries.
- 1-2 Burro Bananas: the quantity may vary as per the portion you want to serve.
- Oil (vegetable, olive, or as per availability).
- Salt and some black pepper powder.
- Peel the Burro Banana and cut them into ¼ thick inch slices.
- Take a frying pan and add ¼ cup of oil to it. Heat it under low flame for a minute or two.
- Add the slices of Burro Banana into the oil and fry them till they turn golden brown. It will take 2-3 minutes hardly.
- After removing the fries from the pan, remove the excess oil with the help of paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper as per the size of the portion.
- Serve and enjoy the hot Burro Banana fries.
Burro Banana Pancakes
Another way to consume it is by making pancakes; this recipe is famous and enjoyed by almost everyone. Let us try:
- Burrow Bananas.
- Wheat Flour (preferred).
- Baking powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Vegetable oil or butter.
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Take a bowl and mash 1-2 Burro Banana in it.
- Mix egg, flour, salt, and cinnamon together in a separate bowl. Mix it properly with no lumps.
- Mix mashed Burro Banana with this thick blend material for pancakes.
- Heat the oil or butter in a frying pan for over a minute.
- Pour the batter made earlier as per the size of the pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes till they turn golden brown. It will take 2-3 minutes at least.
- Top your pancakes with honey, nuts, or maple syrup.
- Pancakes are ready, serve, and enjoy.
Burro Banana Benefits
The benefits of Burro Banana can be realized through its nutrient content. We keep them in our daily diet by consuming fresh or trying various recipes, two of which are discussed above. Now, let us see how it can benefit our overall health.
1. Burro Banana Benefits for Weight Loss
If we are considering taking Burro Bananas for our weight loss regime, we need to consume them in moderation. Being a good source of dietary fiber, it has various other qualities which can promote weight loss.
Also Read: How Cocolmeca Helps in Losing Weight
A. Less Calorie Intake
When trying to lose some extra weight, we must be very cautious of our calorie intake. We usually have to involve workouts and other lifestyle modifications to lose weight. Low-calorie snacks can help in the process. One medium-sized banana gives us around 110 calories. Its fiber-rich content makes us feel full and prevents overeating.
B. High on Fiber
A fiber-rich diet is an excellent alternative to lose some extra weight. It makes us feel full and thus curbs our diet, which reduces overall calorie intake.
C. Alkaline Food
Our body prefers to maintain the pH balance. In simpler terms, our body is at best when we have alkaline food. Burro Bananas are considered alkaline, which keeps us healthy overall and helps reduce weight.
D. Resistant Starch
As complex carbohydrates, it is a good source of resistant starch. It is digested slowly as compared to other foods by our body. This implies through its slow digestion; we feel full and satisfied and do not overeat. This also helps to control blood sugar.
Also Read: Use of Cuachalalate in Weight Loss
2. Burro Banana Improves the Digestive Health
- All the qualities mentioned earlier make Burro Bananas a diet that promotes healthy digestion. Rich fiber content improves constipation by adding bulk to the stool. Our body is at its best when the whole system is clean.
- The digestion process is improved as it is considered an alkaline food. It is regarded as a rich source of resistant starch, which can improve gut health by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria.
3. Burro Banana Improves the Immune System
Our immune system determines our susceptibility to external disease-causing microbes.
4. Burro Banana is a Rich Source of Vitamin C
It is a good Vitamin C source, a critical nutrient for keeping our immune healthy. They help produce WBCs that can fight infections.
5. Burro Banana is a Rich Source of Vitamin B6
Along with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 is considered critical to keep our immune healthy. It helps to produce antibodies that can fight infection and improve overall immune response.
6. Burro Banana is Rich in Antioxidants
Over some time, due to lifestyle and eating habits, our body tends to accumulate toxins in the form of free radicals. These free radicals cause chronic diseases like High BP and High Blood Sugar due to Oxidative stress. The antioxidants in Burro Banana flush out the toxins, which improves overall health and the immune system.
7. Burro Banana Keeps the Heart Healthy
Managing heart health is critical today, as our lifestyle and eating habits directly impact cardiac health. Eating Burro Bananas in moderation can improve it.
A. Rich Source of Potassium
Potassium is an essential mineral to regulate the blood pressure of the body. It also reduces the risk of stroke.
B. Rich Source of Magnesium
Magnesium also helps regulate blood flow by relaxing the blood vessels.
C. Rich Source of Antioxidants
As discussed earlier, free radicals can cause chronic diseases like high BP. Antioxidants flush out the free radicals, which in turn improves cardiac health.
Is Burro Banana Alkaline: Benefits of Alkaline Food
Alkaline food is bliss for good health. Burro banana is alkaline in nature, which is why they are a preferred choice as a dietary supplement. To understand it better, we need to know what alkaline foods are and how they can benefit us.
- Alkaline food can help regulate acid-base balance, also known as our body’s pH balance. The acidic nature of the body can create unwanted stress and friction in our system, which can give rise to many chronic problems. We should know that our stomach needs to be acidic to digest the food while the rest of the body enjoys the alkaline state. Consuming Burro Banana can help to keep the pH in the desired state.
- Alkaline food can promote bone health, maintain kidney function, and improve digestion. Regularly eating Burrow Banana in moderation can help achieve all these benefits.
- Alkaline food is often considered anti-inflammatory as it reduces excess acid in our system and aids in many chronic problems.
- It is rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
Alkaline Food can Help in Weight Management
When we consume alkaline food, for example, Burrow Banana. It can encourage the consumption of nutrient-dense food and reduce the consumption of calorie-rich, processed acidic food. When we eat a nutritious, balanced diet, it helps us manage our overall weight.
Reason Burro Banana is Considered Alkaline
Like most of the fruits, Burro Banana is alkaline. The pH level of Burro Banana is not reflected in its natural state. Still, it depends on how it interacts with the body and changes its overall pH balance after digestion. During digestion, they generally form the mineral contents and some metabolic byproducts.
Burro Banana vs. Regular Banana
There can be huge differences based on the taste and appearance of a Burrow Banana when compared to a regular or Cavendish Banana. We have listed some differences based on texture, appearance, and flavor.
|Features||Burro Banana||Regular Banana|
|Flavor||Creamy and tangy in taste. They are firmer when unripe and less sweet when compared to regular Cavendish Bananas.||Sweet and mellow flavor. When fully ripe, it can be soft and of a smoother texture compared to Burro Banana.|
|Texture||Ripe, Smoother, and creamier. Unripe: Firmed has a starchier texture. It can be used for baking or cooking in both conditions.||Ripe Softer and Creamier. Unripe: Firm They are not the preferred choice for cooking because of their texture.|
|Appearance||Unripe: Softer, less curved, thicker, and greenish-yellow skin. Ripe: Deep yellow skin and are less elongated when compared to regular bananas.||Ripe: Longer, curved, and bright yellow skin. Unripe: Thinner and have greenish skin.|
The purpose of writing this blog is to make you aware of one of the banana species. The benefits of Burro Banana majorly depend on the rich nutrient constituent of the fruit. As discussed, it is an excellent source of Potassium, an electrolyte, and a critical mineral to keep us in good shape. It is also rich in Vitamin B6 and Dietary Fiber, which is why it is considered a superfood. The fruit is native to parts of Mexico and prefers the hot weather throughout; this species are not widely distributed. Whenever you have a chance to visit Mexico, try Burro Banana.
Frequently Asked Questions
Green, unripened banana is considered a good choice when you are aiming to lose some weight. You can take an unripened Burro Banana, for instance. They have more resistant starch content than yellow bananas. These are other types of carbohydrates that are not fully digested by the body. They can also act like soluble fiber, which gives us a full feeling throughout the day. Therefore, it prohibits us from overeating or taking unwanted calories.
Burro Bananas, known as Chunky Bananas, is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains good potassium levels, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Dietary Fiber.
1. A good level of Potassium content can be bliss for our cardiac health, as it controls and maintains healthy Blood Pressure.
2. High fiber content can help us get comfort in constipation. It is a condition when a patient fails to have natural bowel movements. Fiber can add bulk to the stool, which makes it easy to pass from the excretory system.
It is enriched with Vitamin C, an antioxidant that maintains and supports a healthy immune system.
A medium-sized, fully ripped Burro Banana contains 110 calories, slightly higher than a normal Cavendish Banana which is 105 calories. Due to its high-calorie content, it should be consumed in moderation. However, it does contain high Potassium (487 mg), Dietary Fiber (3gm), and Carbohydrate 29 gm) content, which is why it is considered a high nutritional fruit.
Burro Banana can be consumed at any time of day. There are generally 2 states in which we can consume them. They are a good source of magnesium, which can promote good sleep, enriched with Potassium, which can maintain healthy blood pressure, etc.
Unripe state: They are starchy, and people prefer to cook them and put them in curries and stews.
Ripe state: They are sweet, tangy, and creamy in texture. They can be eaten fresh, added to smoothies, yoghurt, or used in baking.
We can find a lot in common between Burro and Red Bananas as they are a rich source of Potassium, Vitamin C, and B6. We can differentiate them from the color of their peel, reddish-purple for Red bananas and Yellow for Burro Bananas. Red Bananas are less sweet than Burro Bananas. The flesh texture of Red Banana is firmer while that of Borrow Banana