Constipation is like a curse that not only affects our physical well-being but also has a significant impact on our mental well-being. Want to know how: a constipated gut is an invitation to lots of diseases like gastrointestinal problems, liver problems, kidney problems, and many more. A constipated gut might not directly influence all of them, but it has to play a role. Some studies have predicted that when the gut is not empty, we are under continuous stress, which can affect our physical and mental health. We are talking about constipation as it can be associated with drinking milk for many reasons, and we are trying to suggest a healthy alternative to cow milk, which can be almond milk. But while doing so, we came up with a significant concern that is flooding the internet with many anecdotal proofs. We need to know scientifically: Can Almond Milk Constipate You?
Does Almond Milk Constipate You: A Question with Many Open Ends
While doing so, we want to unwind many essential facts that deal with almond milk consumption and constipation. To give you a heads up, we find almond milk relatively low on fiber, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives used in it can disrupt our gastrointestinal health if we are sensitive. With this blog, we want to set the foundation so that one can consume almond milk without much concern. We buckled to navigate through
1. Scientific Facts
We will dig further into some scientific facts like calcium fortification and individual sensitivities to predict: can almond milk constipate you?
2. Discussing Sensitivities
- A sensitive person is prone to so many problems which can have an impact on their well-being. Many of them are allergic to nuts, seeds, poultry, and many other things.
- We want to unfurl the truth of how sensitivity towards almond milk can contribute to constipation.
- Our primary aim is to find how sensitivities like lactose intolerance and nutritional profile can influence gut health.
- For that, we will find “Cow milk or almond milk which can cause constipation.”
What is Almond Milk
- It is a plant-based alternative to cow milk, which is generally made with almonds, water, sweeteners, and preservatives.
- It became a popular drink because of its taste and potential health benefits.
- If we talk about almond content in it, it comes in between 2% to 8%, depending on the brand.
- If we compare it with cow’s milk, then we will find it is low in protein and fat.
- It is a good source of Vitamin E, which is an essential nutrient to keep skin healthy.
- Almond milk is lactose and cholesterol-free.
- Low in calories as compared to cow’s milk.
Can Almond Milk Constipate You
- Almond milk is generally safe for human consumption, and it is a good alternative for those who are lactose intolerant and have other forms of allergy.
- “Can almond milk constipate you?” Yes, it might be possible, as it depends on various possibilities, and to avoid them, we can start taking it in moderation.
- People are generally allergic to almond traces, preservatives, and sweeteners. Taking one serving per day minimizes intake of these additives. Whose overconsumption can cause all sorts of health problems for sensitive people, which include constipation.
When we abruptly make changes in our diet, we may experience some side effects. These can be temporary and rare, but we can invite constipation in this case.
How Calcium Fortification in Almond Milk Causes Constipation
This is a hot topic—”calcium fortification of almond milk and constipation.” According to many scientific theories, the link between calcium fortification and almond milk needs to be better established. Individual sensitivities still play an essential part in solidifying the fact that certain food items like almond milk can cause gastrointestinal problems like constipation.
1. The Story of Calcium Fortification Leading to Constipation
- Various brands in the market that make almond milk use calcium carbonate for fortification. This form of calcium is not readily absorbed in our body, and this phenomenon can cause constipation among a few people.
- The unabsorbed calcium carbonate will travel through the digestive tract and disrupt bowel movement. It mainly slowed down its rate, making it difficult for an individual to pass stool.
- Due to incomplete absorption, gastrointestinal discomforts like bloating and gas can exacerbate symptoms of constipation.
2. Some Factors to Consider
It has been seen calcium fortification of almond milk can provoke allergies among sensitive individuals, which can cause constipation. To keep a check on this situation, we may have to take care of particular possibilities, like
A. Amount of Calcium
We need to be extra cautious in case of a sensitive gut. Usually, one serving of almond milk contains moderate calcium, and consuming it daily is okay. If we increase the dosage or mix it with another calcium-rich diet, we are inviting constipation.
B. Underlying Health Condition
A person who has underlying health problems, especially those related to the digestive system, like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), is more susceptible to the linkage between almond milk and constipation.
C. Overall Diet
The other culprits of constipation are way more potent than almond milk. Insufficient fiber intake and dehydration can contribute more toward gastrointestinal disorders like constipation.
Individual Sensitivities Towards Almond Milk Which Can Constipate you
Consuming almond milk in moderation is considered safe and is not associated with any life-threatening disease. We need to take care of individual sensitivities and allergies towards certain almond milk content, which can cause various health issues, including constipation. We inspect and carefully check on the possible culprits.
1. Use of Gum and Thickeners
- Many brands are available in the market that use thickeners like carrageenan or guar gum to improve the texture.
- Although, as per the prescribed percentage of these gums and thickeners, they are considered safe for human consumption. Some individuals might be sensitive to these additives, and they can witness gastrointestinal problems like constipation.
2. Nuts or Seeds
- Individuals are likely allergic to nuts. They may face problems as there are almond traces in the milk.
- Constipation can be a possible symptom of nuts or seed allergy.
3. Artificial Sweeteners and Preservatives
- According to some scientific studies, gut bacteria can be affected by adding artificial sweeteners and preservatives.
- Due to this action, there is a disruption in digestion, which can cause constipation.
Cow Milk or Almond Milk Which Can Cause Constipation
Milk is considered a complete food as it is loaded with many vital nutrients. Specific individuals can be allergic to cow milk, and there are many reasons for this. Similarly, its counterparts, like almond milk, show allergies that can disrupt gastrointestinal health. Let us discuss both of them,
Cow’s Milk Sensitivities
Cow milk is a source of many nutrients. With its consumption, one can improve many nutrient deficiencies. But, based on some facts, it is not an easy task as some individuals are allergic to it. Consuming cow milk can be problematic for them as it causes all sorts of health issues.
A. Lactose Intolerance
- Some individuals lack the enzyme called lactase and, therefore, face problems in digesting cow’s milk.
- This condition can result in gastrointestinal discomfort, which leads to constipation.
B. Milk Protein Sensitivity
- It might be a possibility that some individuals have a problem digesting the protein available in cow milk.
- This condition can trigger constipation.
Almond’s Milk Sensitivities
It is seen as an alternative to cow’s milk. Consuming almond milk is considered safe for human consumption. We have to take care of the below issues,
A. Individual Sensitivity
- Like cow’s milk, specific individuals are sensitive to the contents like gums, thickeners, sweeteners, and traces of almonds found in almond milk.
- During the absorption of this content in the body, we can feel gastrointestinal discomfort, which can trigger constipation.
B. Low Fiber
Surprisingly, almond milk is found to be low in fiber content. It is a crucial thing whose deficiency can lead to constipation.
C. Calcium Fortification
Some almond milk brands use calcium carbonate for fortification, which is not entirely absorbed in the body and can result in constipation.
We have started this blog by inspecting specific facts about almond milk. We know its potential use and nutrient content. But an exciting question keeps on coming and demands an answer: “Can Almond Milk Constipate You?” To a certain extent, we can say that the fact that links constipation and consumption of almond milk are bogus and non-scientific. Then we realized that there are susceptible individuals who depend on these things as they can already be lactose intolerant or cannot drink cow’s milk. We have highlighted some facts that can cause gastrointestinal discomfort or constipation after consuming almond milk, such as allergies to nuts, preservatives, and sweeteners. Fortification with calcium carbonate can trigger constipation.