The rising overweight problem has haunted the world for the last 2-3 decades. It is not only deadly but also causes problems like diabetes, cardiac problems, stress, and anxiety. Wegoy, which is also known as semaglutide, is a prescribed drug that turned out to be revolutionary in fighting obesity. It works on our body by suppressing the appetite, regulating high blood sugar, and promoting sustained weight loss. Sometimes, paying attention and staying focused on a weight loss regime is not enough, and individuals battle to shed some extra body weight. An important question that has remained crucial for many: Does BCBS cover wegovy for weight loss?
The answer to the question is complex and might require certain qualifications to be met. Wegoy under BCBS plans can vary considerably depending on various factors like the type of plans, individual health factors, and treatment guidelines. Let us take a look at what circumstances BCBS covers wegovy for weight loss and how you can check your coverage.
What is Wegovy
- Wegovy is a prescribed medicine that is very famous and catching the limelight due to its use in weight loss management. It is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) to aid in chronic weight management.
- The person needs to be obese and suffering from at least one weight-related health issue.
- The chief ingredient of this medicine is semaglutide, which works as GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1).
- This is an accidental drug originally made for type-2 diabetes. When used at higher it is marketed as Wegovy.
- It acts on Obesity by suppressing the appetite, slowing down the movement of food inside the intestine, increasing insulin sensitivity, and increasing metabolic rate.
- Wegovy mimics GLP-1 in the body, administered via subcutaneous injection.
How Wegovy Works on Obesity
It works magically on Obesity, but it is important to note that the effectiveness of the medicine depends on various factors. If we seriously want to lose some weight, then being dependent only on medicine can be overambitious. Combing it with change to a healthy lifestyle, dietary routines, and exercise is recommended.
1. Appetite Reduction
- Semaglutide mimics a hormone called GLP-1, which can reduce feelings of hunger by signaling it to the brain.
- In Obesity, calorie intake is very crucial, and we need to keep a close eye on it. By increasing the feeling of fullness throughout the day, we generally do not overeat, which allows us not to consume unwanted calories.
2. Slowing Digestion
- This adds to the main function of the medicine of reducing the appetite.
- It allows the slow movement of food inside the intestine. This action increases the duration within which the food slowly digests and provides stable blood sugar and energy.
- By slow movement of food, the feeling of fullness increases, which can suppress our appetite.
3. Metabolic Rate
- The medicine changes the metabolic rate. Increasing it can reduce weight more effectively.
- It improves insulin sensitivity, which aids in optimum glucose release in the body, which prevents Obesity.
Does BCBS Cover Wegovy for Weight Loss
Wegovy is a revolutionary medicine approved by the US FDA for chronic overweight problems. A lot of patients use it as they are suffering from many complications that arise due to obesity. An igniting question: Does BCBS Cover Wegovy for Weight Loss come into the mind of various individuals? This can be understood with the facts, as Blue Cross Blue Shield has different plans. It is important to review the insurance policy to determine the coverage.
1. Depending on the type of Plans
The Blue Cross Blue Shield is a network having 33 independent and locally operated companies across the United States, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. It has 4 different plans,
Individuals & Family Plans
- These plans cover medical, dental, vision, and other services. Benefits and limitations will depend on the specific chosen plan.
- This can cover individuals and families with different needs.
The individuals who are eligible for Medicare are provided extra coverage beyond the original Medicare.
- Employers can offer BCBS plans to their employees as part of a perk to a job.
- The coverage of the plans can depend on the negotiation between the employer, employee, and local BCBS company.
The company offers various specialty plans for dental and vision as a supplement to main health insurance coverage.
2. Individual Health Factors
While opting for the policy, they may consider Body Mass Index (BMI), current health condition due to weight, and prior attempts to lose weight.
- You might need prior authorization from a doctor to use Wegovy as a prescribed medicine to lose weight.
- Follow the guidelines sincerely to get full coverage.
Check Your Coverage
To be sure of the insurance coverage, we need to follow some steps, which will be explained next.
1. Reviewing the Documents
- We need to examine the handbook or summary of benefits and coverage carefully.
- Upon review, we can determine if the prescribed drug, especially weight loss medicine, is under coverage or not.
2. Contact Your BCBS Company
- Upon contacting the local BCBS customer care, we can also check the online member portal.
- All the necessary details about the coverage of your plan and steps needed to fulfil getting coverage for Wegovy for weight loss.
- We need to consult with a doctor to explain to them about our weight goals. They will check our bodies and do the necessary tests to determine whether Wegovy will work.
- They also check the eligibility for coverage based on our medical history.
Concluding the complex question: Does BCBS cover wegovy for weight loss remains with no straightforward answers. As per the blog, it all depends on the type of coverage and policy plan one has opted for. Wegovy is a prescribed medicine that is approved by the US FDA, which is why there is no question of legality. There are ways to determine whether you have medical coverage, which involves checking with an online portal or contacting customer care. To make sure you can get a consultation from your doctor.