We are blessed with so many things around us which can help us in our day-to-day life, all we need is to understand its optimum uses. Fennel seed is one of those gifted items by mother earth to us, this amazing herb has lots of hidden benefits for our gut health and overall body. In many cultures across the world, this herb has been used in different ways to get the maximum benefits out of it. In India, we use it knowingly or unknowingly after our meals. In this blog, we will try to shed light on fennel water benefits which is a hot topic nowadays.
The nutrient composition of Fennel Seeds or Saunf Water
Fennel seeds are a very good source of some essential micronutrients, they can be consumed directly in raw form immediately after the meal or some like to drink fennel water these days. The fennel water benefits are not too different as we consume it directly, we will discuss this later on.
Fennel seeds are rich in Calcium. Potassium, Phosphorus and Sodium all are very essential micronutrients as they help our body to function smoothly. Fennel seeds are a rich source of fibre also, if they are consumed after the meal, and they help us to cure constipation. Consuming the fennel seeds in different ways does not change their chemical composition generally they are treated as anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant compounds.
Although it has been seen and tested in labs also the fennel seeds which are generally rich in Vitamin C, A and K show diminished nutrient value as some of them may be lost during the boiling and straining process. However, the nutrient value present is still beneficial to strengthen the immune system and improve gut health. We have seen some fennel water benefits now we will see its nutrient composition.
|Nutrient name||Total composition in 6 grams of Fennel seed which is about 1 tablespoon|
|Total energy consumed||20 kcal|
|Total Carbohydrate constituents||3.03 grams|
|Total Protein constituents||0.9 grams|
|Total Calcium constituents||69.6 mg|
|Total Iron constituents||1.07 mg|
|Total Vitamin A constituents||1.22 mg|
|Total Vitamin C constituents||7.83 IU|
How to make Fennel water & what are Fennel Water Benefits
Fennel seeds are not only used as a refreshment post-meal, in old Ayurvedic textures we will find the literature which will tell how good they are to maintain your healthy gut and high metabolism and even boost your immunity. We will tell you two ways to consume fennel seeds so that you can get benefit out of them.
Recipe 1: Making Fennel Tea
- For making the tea you simply need two active ingredients water and fennel seeds. Below is the procedure to make the Fennel Tea.
- Add a cup of water to a pan and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the water starts boiling add a tablespoon of fennel seed to it.
- Let the solution get one boil, after that strain the solution into the cup.
- Enjoy your tea sip by sip.
- Drinking hot water sip by sip can also regulate your bowel movement, you can consume it in the morning.
- Many people use to have this fennel tea for weight loss also.
Recipe 2: Making Fennel Water
- Perhaps this is the simplest way to consume fennel seeds.
- For this, you need 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds and soak them in one glass of water.
- You can also add Rock Sugar to it, cover the whole solution and keep it overnight.
- Stir and strain the solution and drink it slowly sip by sip first thing in the morning.
- Do not throw the left-over fennel seeds, chew them after drinking the water.
- This solution can majestically solve your gut problems and help in your bowel movement.
- Many people use to have this fennel water for weight loss also.
Other Fennel Water benefits
Fennel water can be made easily and fennel seeds are readily available anywhere in the world in any condition. By far we have understood that fennel water is an excellent thing for our gut, we will now discuss some more fennel water benefits.
If you experience bad breath use Fennel water
Having a bad breath issue can be an embarrassing thing, most of the time it is related to our bad gut health. Fennel water not only combats your bad gut condition but chewing fennel seeds for 2 to 3 minutes can help with your bad breath also. The aromatic taste and due to the presence of essential oils fennel seed increases saliva production rate. Due to this, harmful bacteria inside the mouth which can be the cause of bad breath are destroyed and you feel refreshed.
Promote weight loss & improve the texture of your skin
- Fennel water acts as an excellent detoxifier, so it will remove all the toxic product in our body and flushes it out. Fennel seed works miraculously for those people who are suffering from constipation. It has anti-inflammatory properties which again makes it good for our digestive system.
- Fennel seeds are a rich source of fibre, it can help us in regulating our overeating. When we have fennel water it will increase our metabolism which helps us in weight reduction.
- Due to the presence of Zinc, Potassium and Selenium, it can help us with skin damage by free radicals. These minerals play a crucial role in balancing hormones and oxygen levels in the body which helps to minimise skin problems.
Helps to regulate blood pressure
Fennel water benefits can also be experienced in cardiovascular diseases, fennel seeds are rich in potassium. It is helpful to maintain healthy pressure in your bloodstream by maintaining fluids which in turn protects your heart and maintains healthy blood pressure. Secondly, they can increase the level of nitrite in saliva which can help to maintain healthy blood pressure.
Helps to reduce the development of cancer
Studies across the world have suggested that fennel seeds have anti-cancerous properties in them. They are powerful antioxidants which may neutralize the free radicals.
Help to improve the eyesight
Fennel water benefits our eyes also. Due to the rich source of Vitamin C, which is a critical nutrient for our eyesight. Its extract also helps to treat an eye condition called glaucoma.
Also read the benefits of kulekhara leaves, they are also natural and freely available in nature.
Possible side effects of Fennel water
Fennel water benefits our body and we have seen it in this blog, they are a rich source of nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin A, various minerals and fibre. There is no such side effect experienced by anyone if fennel seed is consumed as tea and fennel water in a prescribed amount which is once a day. Prolonged use can cause stomach pain, vomiting, allergic reaction etc. So, we recommend you consult an experienced doctor to know about the dosage and consumption period of fennel water.
Fennel water is very beneficial for us as it contains a lot of necessary micronutrients. Some of the benefits are it is good for our digestive system, and when fennel water is drunk on an empty stomach it can cure constipation also. Other benefits are that the result shows its benefits in keeping optimum blood pressure and maintaining good eye health and it also has anti-cancerous properties.
Yes, it is very beneficial to drink fennel water with the benefit it provides. Fennel water is easy to make and is easy to digest also. You simply take a teaspoon of fennel seeds, soak them in water keep the solution covered for a night. Drink it first thing in the morning, and chew the leftover fennel seeds.
It is advisable to drink the fennel water first thing in the morning, it will help to create bowel movement and can treat your constipation.
Fennel seeds are excellent for your gut health, with regular use in the morning they will help in stomach bloating. We recommend you discuss it with an expert before starting to use it regularly.