This can be interesting to deal with as so many controversial things about the role of magnesium stearate are yet to be discovered. You must have noticed a white powder lurking in the ingredients list of medication and body supplements. It is one of the most common additives, with a controversial reputation. This blog will try to find the link between magnesium stearate and hair loss.
To understand the role of magnesium stearate, we can imagine it while popping out a multivitamin pill that quickly passes down our throat and a lipstick that glides on and leaves an even velvety finish. However, the internet is filled with literature on how we can lose hair after regularly using magnesium stearate. But before making any rash decision to toss up your favorite supplements and entire makeup bag, let us untangle the mystery behind their use and possible link with hair loss or other health problems. To do it right, we will go chronologically and understand magnesium stearate.
What is Magnesium Stearate
- Magnesium stearate is a compound that contains magnesium and stearic acid, and it has a white powdery texture.
- The compound is a lubricant or anti-adherent used in manufacturing pharmaceutical products, dietary supplements, and many more.
Purpose and General Considerations
- The primary use of this compound is to prevent ingredients from sticking to manufacturing equipment.
- It is used in small amounts and as an inactive ingredient when manufacturing pharmaceutical products and health supplements.
- Regulatory agencies like the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have approved the use of magnesium stearate in defined amounts.
Possible Relation with Hair Loss
Before making any bold statement about the potential connection between using a magnesium stearate compound and hair loss, let us give you some heads up. We will discuss these factors in detail later on.
1. Lack of Evidence
- Anecdotal reports show that some people might have experienced hair loss after using magnesium stearate.
- No scientific study has been done to support anecdotal reports.
2. Ongoing Research
The relation between possible hair loss and the use of magnesium stearate is left hung and dry. Conclusive findings are yet to be established as many scientific studies are ongoing.
3. Other Factors
- Many possible reasons are scientifically proven and show a possible reason for hair loss.
- Genetics, hormonal issues, stress, and underlying health conditions can be the possible reasons for hair fall.
Magnesium Stearate and Hair Loss
The story that stitches the role of magnesium stearate and hair loss is vague and unclean for many reasons, as no scientific studies could prove it. However, there are speculations, and people are left with many unheard theories or anecdotal proofs. Let us untangle them one by one while we try to paint the possible role of magnesium stearate in hair loss.
1. Anecdotal Evidence
- The Internet is filled with people experiencing hair loss after constantly being in touch with magnesium stearate.
- However, anecdotal evidence remained lurking behind the scientific proof. There can be many factors that could cause hair loss.
- They could not establish a relationship between using magnesium stearate and hair loss.
2. Scientific Studies
As made clear, scientific studies that can prove the role of magnesium stearate and hair loss are limited. Let’s discuss some factors that we know so far.
- No relationship could be established between hair loss and the possible intake of magnesium stearate.
- Hair loss can be caused by other proven factors like hereditary, hormonal imbalance, underlying disease, and stress.
- According to many studies, magnesium stearate consumption is generally safe for humans in small amounts found in the products.
3. Placebo Effect
This can be strange, but it can happen when we strongly form an opinion about some product being harmful. In this case, it is magnesium stearate, and its detrimental effect is hair loss. We can experience hair fall even if the ingredient has no such effect.
4. Confirmation Bias
It is based on the human natural tendency. We tend to pay attention to experiences aligned with our strong beliefs and neglect all contradictory ones.
5. Safety and Concerns
- The US FDA has approved using magnesium stearate in small amounts, as the compound does not cause severe health issues like cancer or organ damage.
- Some people may feel bloating or diarrhea with a high intake of magnesium stearate.
Instead of focusing on finding a possible cause between magnesium stearate and hair loss, we must do other mindful activities. Which are,
A. Focus on Diet
- We should eat a protein-rich diet to avoid future complications of hair loss.
- Combine it with a healthy lifestyle and regular exercise.
B. Consult a Doctor
- Seek advice from a doctor or registered dietician if you feel suspicious about the role of magnesium stearate on hair fall.
C. Feel Free
- Magnesium stearate is majorly found in pharmaceutical products and supplements. Use them without suspicion unless you are sensitive and do not take a balanced diet.
In today’s world, we are witnessing some significant issues with our bodies, and hair loss is one of them. According to the popular narrative, many anecdotal proofs try to combine magnesium stearate and hair loss. The statement becomes very complicated if we talk about scientific discoveries as it is not clinically established. Hair loss can be associated with many factors that are backed scientifically, like stress, hereditary, and hormonal. In my opinion, instead of focusing on something that can be entirely false, we should do those things that are possible, like eating mindfully, following a healthy lifestyle, and staying in touch with a healthcare expert. We can eradicate the possibility of hair loss in the future.